Remember: For a message to make an impression it needs to be seen or heard at least 5 times.
You're writing it, but are people reading it?
I've been working as a marketing consultant for over a decade, and one of the most useful lessons I’ve learned is the importance of repeating your message. We live in busy (and busier) times, and people need to hear a message several times before it actually sinks in. This has a big impact on marketers. For example, are you writing fresh content for your website on a regular basis?
A key factor for B2B marketing success is thought leadership. This involves showing your company’s expertise and experience. White papers, case studies and even blogs provide a platform on which you can show your success as well as inform and educate potential buyers. If your website lacks this information it can be frustrating for buyers who would like to know what you’ve done, what experiences clients have had and what they have to say about your company.
I've seen a lot of companies that have lots of content on their websites. The problem is, no one is visiting the website. Simply posting content to your website isn’t enough. It’s up to you to publish your thought leadership content through various social media platforms and multiple formats. Content needs to be viewed at least five times for it make a mark, and in many cases, itès more than that. But 5 times is my basic rule of thumb.
Make the most of your content
There are a number of ways you can re-use a single content idea. to achieve 5 repetitions.
Once your original content, say a whitepaper, has been written and is ready to publish, lengthen it`s life by trying some of these tips:
- Send it out to your clients through an email and include a link to a landing page
- Use social media!
- Write a blog post about it
- Implement a pay-per-click campaign to further publicize your content
- Write a press release and pitch it to trade publications, if the content warrants it
- Keep posting about it on your social media over a period of time, as information needs to be produced at least five times for it to make an impact on a person
- Develop a webinar about it
- Speak about it at an industry conference
- Collect feedback from clients and readers and turn that into a follow-up post
- Use social media for this follow-up article too
It will not be possible to do this with every whitepaper case study. However, these steps can be used to draw potential buyers to your site. It will also establish a company as a thought leader and showcase your accomplishments and products/services.
If I've seen B2B companies make one mistake time and again, it's that they don't repeatedly communicate their thought leadership. Use the rule of 5 to make sure you don't repeat their error.
Do you remember how many times a message needs to be read or seen for a person to recall it?