We've fielded 2 previous B2B marketing benchmark studies for small and mid-sized companies. The first was in 2012 and again in 2015. We're fielding the next study in September 2018.
We have 31 questions from previous studies. 3 - 5 of these will be retired in 2018, and 3 - 5 new questions will be added.
From the 31 questions below, which would you remove? And what questions would you add? We're particularly interested in questions about Marketing Automation and Marketing Measurement. We will add a question about Industry. Other ideas are welcome!
Questions from the previous B2B Marketing Benchmark studies:
- Which business functions do you believe can have the most impact on the success of your company in the next 12 months?
- Other ______________
2. What are your top 3 marketing goals for the next 12 months?
- Refine our messaging
- Create a formal marketing plan
- Increase awareness of our company and offerings
- Generate leads
- Convert leads to deals
- Reduce cost of customer acquisition
- Accelerate the sales cycle
- Increase profit per customer
- Other ____________________
- VP Sales
- VP / Dir Marketing
- Combination of senior executives
- No one
- Advisor / Consultant
The following series of questions use a scale from 'Always' (4) to 'Not at all' (0).
- As a company, we have a clear understanding of who our ideal customers are
- We know how our ideal customers make buying decisions about our products and services
- Our company is clearly differentiated from competitors.
- We have a clear message about why customers should choose us
- We have a good understanding of what our competitors offer and how we compare to them
- We are well known in our target industries and by the market we sell to
- We regularly speak at industry conferences
- We get sole-sourced for new business
- We can achieve price premiums against comparable / alternative solutions
- We regularly publish content like whitepapers, blog posts and articles that shares our expertise
- We have defined the keywords that people use to find information online about the problems we solve
- We use keywords in our web pages and content to make sure we rank well on search engines
- We publish press releases and have relationships with media to get industry attention
- We have a blog and publish new posts at least twice a month
- We network at events where our prospects and customers gather
- Our sales team has compelling collateral that they use in the sales process
- We have case studies and other tools like ROI calculators that our sales team can use to advance sales calls
- We use a CRM system effectively
- We stay in touch with prospects who aren't yet ready to buy through opt-in email communications
- Our sales and marketing teams meet at least every two weeks to discuss initiatives and performance
- We communicate regularly with past and existing customers
- We perform a customer satisfaction assessment at least every other year
- We grow the amount of business we do with existing customers by 5% or more per year
- Our customers refer new business to us
- Our customers know about our full line of products and services, not just those that they buy from us
Participant data question
What is your expected revenue for 2018:
- Under $1M
- $1 – 2M
- $2 – 5M
- $5 – 10M
- $10 – 25M
- $25 – 50M
- $50 – 100M
What is your total annual marketing spend including staff (allocate costs for staff who do marketing as a portion of their role), vendors, and 3rd party costs (trade shows, Adwords, etc)?
- Under $50,000
- $50,000 - 99,999
- $100,000 - $249,999
- $250,000 - $399,999
- $400,000 - 749,999
- $750,000 - $999,999
- $1,000,000 - $1,499,999
- Over 1.5M
What country are you based in?
Once again, our ask:
From the 31 questions above, which would you remove?
And what questions would you add? We're particularly interested in questions about Marketing Automation and Marketing Measurement. Other ideas are welcome!
Send us your suggestions through social (below), or email Lisa Shepherd at firstname.lastname@example.org. All emails will be read and answered.